Low calorie weekly menu for summer
In this article I want to teach you how to prepare a low-calorie but satisfying weekly menu , specifically a fresh menu that will be ideal for the summer months .
Depending on the time of year in which we find ourselves, our eating and culinary habits change. In summer, we tend not to spend so much time at home, either because we are at the beach, on vacation or taking a walk along a promenade.
The change in routine together with the high temperatures affects us in the time we dedicate to cooking and in the choices of the preparations we make in our day to day. In general, we tend to opt for preparations and foods that hydrate us, refresh us, are lighter, easier and faster to prepare. For this reason, today we share this weekly menu with summer hues and low in calories , so it will be ideal if you want to lose weight in a healthy way and without starving or anxiety. In fact, I do not recommend resorting to weekly menus that may help you lose weight but make you hungry and, therefore, anxiety .
When making this menu, I have thought of 4 points that for me are basic to have a low-calorie, summer menu.
- Use vegetables from the summer season: they will be fresher, tastier and better preserve their nutritional properties (aromas, taste, flavor, vitamin and mineral content…). Besides, they will be more economical and sustainable from an environmental point of view.
- Fresh and light preparations: gazpacho, salads, citrus sauces, etc. At the time of year in which we are in Spain, we rarely want to eat a stew or soup, but rather the opposite.
That is why I have taken into account that the recipes on the menu are fresh preparations . In addition, this time of year is good for increasing the consumption of raw vegetables and fruits , which in the winter time is more difficult to introduce into our daily diet.
- With Low Calorie Sauces and Vinaigrettes : There is no denying that sauces and vinaigrettes add flavor and are the finishing touch to a good salad. The recipes for sauces and vinaigrettes that are on the menu have been designed so that they provide us with a lot of flavor and freshness and can be part of any weight loss or slimming pattern .
- Sufficient amount of vegetables: when it comes to losing weight, vegetables will be our allies. They will provide us with vitamins, minerals and fiber, which will keep us well nourished and satiated throughout the day . All recipes will provide us with approximately 200g of vegetables per serving.
Batch cooking from the weekly low-calorie summer menu
This low-calorie summer weekly menu has something special, and that is that I have made it thinking of making a small batch cooking (a planning of several preparations that can be cooked in a couple of hours) easy and simple, and thus not No excuse when it comes to taking the tupperware to the beach.
A total of 6 batch cooking recipes will be made , we will take advantage of one day of the week to make several preparations made or semi-made, which we will use throughout the week, which are the ones that you can find in the video that I share in this article .
- Whole wheat pasta: 2 v / week (Monday lunch and Wednesday dinner).
- Green bean : 1v / week (Monday lunch)
- Hake with onion and peas: 2 times / week (Tuesday dinner and Thursday lunch).
- Sautéed zucchini, onion, curry and soy sauce: 2v / week. (Wednesday lunch sautéed with beans and Friday dinner to accompany the omelette) The sautéed zucchini, onion, curry and soy sauce will last 3-4 days in the fridge without problem. In this case, since it is on Friday for dinner, as it is the fifth day, this sauté would be frozen and it would be taken out of the freezer in the morning and we would leave it in the fridge, so that at dinner time it is defrosted. Therefore, if you do batch cooking on Sunday, when you cook it, set aside a part for Friday and freeze it.
- Salad base 1: fresh spinach, cherry tomato and spring onion (Tuesday lunch and Wednesday dinner).
- Dorada marinated with lime, ginger and soy sauce: 1v / week (Monday dinner).
- Gazpacho: 2v / week (Monday dinner and Thursday dinner).
Ingredients of this low calorie menu
Below I share with you a list of ingredients of the preparations of this batch cooking ideal for weight loss diets . Remember that you don’t need to have the exact same ingredients that I use. If you have similar ingredients it will suffice.
Hake with onion and peas (1 person):
1-2 slices or loins of hake clean and without bones
1 medium onion
½ glass of dry white wine or vegetable broth or fish broth
Sautéed beans with zucchini, onion, curry and soy sauce (1 person):
½ medium zucchini
1 small onion 1 small
pot of pinto beans
Salad with lentils, spring onion, cherry tomatoes and melon (1 person):
1 small pot of lentils
¼ spring onion
5-6 cherry tomatoes
2-3 handfuls of fresh spinach
½ thin melon slice
Lemon peppermint dressing (1 person):
2 mint leaves
Sea bream macerated with lemon, soy sauce and ginger (1 person):
1-2 clean sea bream fillets
1,5 cm grated ginger
Gazpacho or cold tomato juice (1 person):
300g ripe pear tomato or a mixture of several tomatoes
¼ green pepper
1/8 spring onion
Elaboration process of this low calorie batchcooking
When it comes to batch cooking, the key is to take advantage of all the cooking times to advance recipes. So first of all we will make those recipes that do not need supervision (such as boiling pasta and rice), then we will cut the vegetables and then we will continue with the longer preparations. While these are cooking, we will take the opportunity to prepare the bases of salads, gazpachos … and other easy and quick recipes to prepare.
Step 1: We advance menu cooking
First we will boil the water for the pasta and the green beans. Meanwhile, we will cut the green beans to taste, and we will begin to cut the vegetables for the following preparations (hake with onion and peas).
Step 2: First Preparation of Our Weight Loss Meal Planning
Once the vegetables are cut, we will add the pasta and the beans to the water. And we will start preparing the hake with onion and peas.
- Cut the onions.
- Add olive oil to a saucepan.
- Brown the onion.
- Add the hake and peas. Let cook 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine. Cook for 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
Take into account the number of people and the number of days that you will eat it throughout the week. For example, if we are 4 people at home and we want to prepare “Hake with onion and peas” for 2 days, we would cook 8 slices of hake (4 slices per day), 2 medium onions (1 per day) and enough peas for the 4 two days.
When it comes to freezing or storing in the fridge, first of all we have to do is lower the temperature. In the industry there are machines for this purpose (blast chillers) that what they do is lower the temperature of the food quickly. At home, since we do not have this type of machinery, we have to be more careful. And how will we do it:
- Separate the preparation in troughs. The smaller the portion, the faster the food will cool.
- To avoid cross contamination with other foods or substances, we will cover it and leave the lids in the coolest area of the kitchen.
- Once the temperature drops, store in the fridge immediately. We will try to leave the food at room temperature for the shortest time possible and under no circumstances will the food be out of the fridge for a period longer than 1.5 hours – 2 hours.
Since it is very hot in summer, to speed up the process, I recommend putting the tupperware in a bain-marie with cold water and ice. Id stir the tupperware so that it cools down evenly.
Step 3: We prepare the vegetables with beans to cover two preparations on our menu
Once we have the pasta, the beans and the hake with peas done, we are going to prepare the rest of the preparations. First we will make the zucchini, onion, curry and soy sauce sauté, and while we will prepare the gazpacho.
- Cut the zucchini and onion. We will use this stir fry for two days. The first day (Wednesday lunch) we will sauté it with beans, and the rest we will freeze, for dinner on Friday, which will be our contribution of vegetables.
- Add olive oil to a frying pan and cook the vegetables
- Meanwhile, we will take the opportunity to make the gazpacho. Cut all the ingredients. Place them in the blender glass. Crush and store in a glass bottle in the fridge. You can add the oil and vinegar at this time or when serving.
- When the vegetables are soft, add the soy sauce and curry to taste. Cook for about 8 minutes over low-medium heat. Until some of the soy sauce evaporates.
- Separate a part, which will be the one that we will freeze or store in the refrigerator for a maximum of 3-4 days.
- Leave the rest in the pan and add the beans, previously drained. Sauté it all together for a few minutes so that it takes flavor and place in a container.
Step 4: Macerate of sea bream and salads of this low calorie batch cooking
Finally, we will prepare, bream macerated with lime, ginger and soy sauce and we will leave the preparation of the pasta salad with green beans and the lentil salad for the end.
- Place the cleaned sea bream fillets in a container. The spine must be completely flat and with enough space.
- Add the lime juice, soy sauce and grate the ginger. The bream must be covered by the juice.
- Store in the fridge until cooking time (Monday night).
- Next, we will prepare the lentil salad, in a tupper place the spinach, the Cherry tomatoes cut in half, the onion cut into julienne strips, the melon or any fruit rich in vitamin C and the previously rinsed and drained lentils. Store in the fridge without seasoning.
- Dressing, in a small airtight jar, add the juice of 1-2 lemons, some chopped mint leaves, salt and pepper. Dress the salad when you eat it.
In order to improve the absorption of iron in this salad, we have added a lemon juice-based dressing and a seasonal fruit rich in vitamin C, melon. In the event that you do not consume melon or you do not like the lemon juice-based dressing, there are many other fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C. Next, I will indicate fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C that you can include and adapt them to your tastes and those of the whole family .
Note on foods rich in Vitamin C
- Fruits (from more to less amount of vitamin C per 100 g): guava, black currant, kiwi, papaya, lychee, strawberry and strawberry, orange, lemon, grapefruit, lime, melon, red currant, mango, tangerine, peach, raspberry . Also in juice.
- Vegetables: bell peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, watercress, kale, red cabbage, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, turnip greens, chard, sweet potato, sweet potato, tomato.
- We will finish by assembling the whole wheat pasta salad with green beans, roasted pepper, natural tuna and fresh cheese.
In case you are more than one at home, think about adapting the menu to the rest of the family. Avoid eating differently from the rest of the family, that will allow you to maintain this habit throughout your life . Both this batch cooking menu and any other menu you always have to adapt to the tastes at home and your routines. Don’t be afraid to swap one vegetable for another, one fish for another, or even one carbohydrate for another. It is normal that we do not like all the ingredients or recipes.
The idea is that with this menu it serves as a base and that you yourself encourage yourself to prepare your batch cooking menu at home, thinking about all the diners, routines, habits and very importantly their tastes.
If you make the menu thinking about the tastes at home or changing those ingredients that you do not like at home, you will see how it will be much easier for you to make the change and maintain a healthy diet throughout your life .